Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Baking it up

Man, it has been a crazy week. Monday we had the opportunity to go to a flea market. It was an experience. We got swarmed by people as soon as we said we were looking for one thing and they wouldn't give up until we left or took off running away. They just passed us store to store. There was so much stuff there, it was ridiculous.

We finally got going on the home teaching and worked with some companionships. It's a lot of fun doing those lessons, because there is this Russian cultural thing where if you have never talked to each other before, you don't really want to start, so we sit in a room with them and they talk to us but not each other hahaha.

Thursday was a big day. We got stopped in the elevator by a guy who lives in our apartment building who asked who we were, and for our phone number. He wants to play basketball "with the Americans" but he also seemed interested in the church. Later that night, almost the same thing happened with a guy in an English group we work with! We had about an hour after there, where we just decided the Lord wanted us to do something with basketball that day. So we showed up at a court to play (we are now allowed to schedule time to meet people through sports) and met 4 guys who wanted our number, and seemed a little interested in the church! It was crazy how that worked out.

Friday I had an awesome opportunity to gauge my personal growth. Some stuff went on with our disrict, that 6 months ago, would have had me fuming and upset all day long, and I wouldn't have been able to think about anything else. I was still upset, understandably, but I was calm about it. I was able to let it go. The Atonement is real, and cover more than just sins! Later that night we went out to a city called Pooshkina and met with an inactive named Elena. She was super friendly and kept feeding us. We were able to commit her to coming into Moscow for a family history seminar this Saturday.

Saturday I attended a double baptism, and did some stopbys. We spent the night with the Perovo Elders (Eastern Moscow) to prepare for service Sunday morning. Tranfer calls came, and guess what?! I'm not going anywhere. Sokolniki is getting an additional companionship and splitting into two districts though. One of the office elders, Elder Stevens, will be our new district leader. We are pumped because Elder Stevens is a good time.

Sunday we had a special sacrament for volunteers participating in the service project, and then went to a big festival. We did a puppet show about alcohol and smoking for kids for a few hours. There were news crews and tons of people there, we were shocked. Then Elder Morris and I went home and baked. I tried to make my mom's berry rolls, and they turned out ok for not having measuring cups, a rolling pin, and only using Russian ingredients!


The language is coming along really well. I think this transfer I'll see a spike in improvement, personally. I love having time everyday to study the Gospel and learn about my Savior.  I love the Russian people and their culture.  This life is wonderful.  

With love,
Elder Wilkins

Moscow streets at night:





Puppet show:

 Making Mom's berry rolls:








Some fried chicken and mashed potatoes we made:

A park in central Moscow:

No comments:

Post a Comment