Sunday, August 20, 2017

Transferred, Trapped, but Tenacious

The vast majority of this week is a blur, I won't lie to you. But it was an interesting one.

Monday we finally managed to get a hold of a young inactive family we have been wanting to work with for months. They've been a focus for our branch council, and our companionship, but we just couldn't get our foot in the door. Finally, we met up with the father, Vova. He is a big runner, so we agreed to go running with him in the mornings to build our relationship. Tuesday morning, we ran about 7k. I thought I was hurting afterward, but I was better off than Elder Miller.

Tuesday night we got a random call from some guy who said he was on his way to our building. He spoke really fast and didn't give us time to respond, so we just showed up not knowing what to expect. It was a 65 year old man named Nikolai who wanted to sell us lightbulbs or work for the church as a delivery man. Fortunately, he was on our turf, so we could preach the life right out of him. He was actually very excited to hear about the gospel, and we had a second meeting later in the week.

The following day, we met with a young guy named Jimbya who formerly had investigated the church. He wanted to know why the Mormons are so dang sure their church is the only true one. So we told him. And we told him he could be equally sure. But he doesn't believe in "absolute truth " (ie, everyone has their own path to their own God and we just gotta do whatever seems right based on our personal standards). It jsut made me glad I have a witness from God Himself that this church is the one true and living church on the Earth.

Friday we had splits with the zone leaders. Elder Bedke and I ended up trying to meet a member in Tsaritsyino Park, where Catherine built her summer palace. One of the food booths gave us a discount on our churros and free lemonade when they found out we were on religious missions. Blessings can be found everywhere.



The rest of the week went as follows:
-President calls and tells Elder Miller he is being transferred to Rechnoy (in Moscow) a few weeks early. Elder Wilkins will found out his companion when transfers actually roll around.
-Elder Wilkins and Elder Bedke will be covering both Kakhovski and University until transfers, so that means we will be covering the southern half of Moscow for 10 days.


-Elder Wilkins and Elder Miller get trapped in an elevator for just under an hour because someone (won't say who) got bored on the long ride and tried to force the doors open with the keys while the elevator was moving.



I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have a testimony of this work. I have a testimony of the Savior. Draw near to Him, and He will draw near unto you.

The Book is blue, the Gospel is true!
------

Elder Wilkins

No comments:

Post a Comment