Friday, July 15, 2016

Week 6

It's been a really eventful week.  So a law passed Thursday in Russian that bans publicly proselyting.  We were really worked up at first, but we came to realize (with a lot of help) that it's a really good thing.  God trusts us enough to kick off a new era of missionary work in Russia, and has already prepared us.

"The Church recognizes a new law will take effect in Russia on July 20, 2016 that will have an impact on missionary work.  The Church will honor, sustain, and obey the law.  Missionaries will remain in Russia and will work within the requirements of these changes.  The Church will further study and analyze the law as it goes into effect."

Elder D. Todd Christofferson  26 June 2016:
My friends and fellow citizens, we live in challenging times.  Religious freedom is indeed under fire.  And things may get worse before they get better.  But these are our times.  This is our moment to defend our fundamental freedoms.

Elder M. Russell Ballard, 5 June 2016
Reflecting on his impressions after just a few short days in Russia, Elder Ballard said, "I see significant potential for growth in the Church in Russia.  There is deep spirituality among the citizens of this great country, and the Church provides the ideal environment for these good people to develop their spiritual nature.  I am very optimistic."

Elder Scott M. Jensen, 11 July 2016
"The Apostles are saying it's go-time.  Satan's putting up a fight, and we're going in swingin'."

(all bold, italics, and underlining was added by Elder Wilkins)


On Friday, Elder McKendrick jacked up his ankle in futbol.  His entire foot is purple and green from about three inches above the ankle.  He's been a crutchin' fool since.

We taught in our actual companionships in the park this week.  Our numbers stunk, but we really enjoyed it.  I've never seen an "hola" as enthusiastic as Elder Franckowiak's.  Everyone within earshot got one.

Sunday we were called as Zone Leaders.  We spent almost an hour in companionship inventory discussing how we wanted to develop the culture of the CCM.  We are humbled to be able to serve the missionaries here, and we are excited for some changes.  We set the tone. Whether or not there are zone prayers at the end of the night, which devotionals we watch twice a week, what our topics for talks are in sacrament meeting and priesthood/ relief society. We also, as the experienced group, set the example of the standard of obedience.
We are conducting a CCM-wide (for the Elders) Rock-paper-scissors tournament.  The champion at the end of three weeks is rewarded with an uncontested first pick in the tie draft.  I'm pretty stoked about that.

[Mom's note:  Some of you may remember they started a rock-paper-scissors tournament before and it was shut down. He said that was because it got too loud because elders and sisters were all involved in it.  This time it's just elders.  And the tie draft.  Here's his explanation:  Everyone signs the back of a tie and puts in in a box. Then all of the name tags go in a bag and we draw them out. You have five seconds to grab a tie (we vote on whether eyes are closed or not). You have to wear that tie all the the next day, even at the park.  This is done before the next wave of departing missionaries.]

Monday we committed Anastasia to baptism.  I also got a letter from Elder Bartholomew.  Disappointed I didn't get to see him, but I'll catch him in two!

On Tuesday the new missionaries arrived.  There are now 4 Westlakers here (myself, Elder Mortensen, Elder Jones, and Hermana Twede).  There are also a few from Lone Peak and Pleasant Grove whom I know.  Lots of newbies.  (Can't take pictures in the CCM, remember?  But I'll get one before I leave with all of the Westlake grads).


The language sucks but that´s because very few words have less than four syllables and I sound like an American. And cases are hard. Cases basically alter every part of speech that´s not a verb or adverb to reflect if it is the direct object, indirect object, prepositional phrase, etc. On the upside, I´ll have no trouble speaking five languages by the time I retire like I want to.

Due to the number of missionaries, we got booted to the Family History Center on the first floor for classes.  We call it Outer Darkness because its so far away (everyone else is on the 4th floor).  We did get to pick a District name though.  Instead of Nephi, we are now the Anti-Nephi-Lehis.

The work is progressing!  Every day I am by how much the Lord trusts and cares for His children.  If there is ever a doubt, Mosiah 3 is the place to go.

I'm grateful for all the love, support, and emails.  Please keep the people of Russia in your prayers.

Elder Wilkins

Старейшина Вылкынс

  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment