Monday, August 15, 2016

Week 11

You would think with this new law, it would be difficult to find things to do, but here in Sokolniki we have trouble finding time to do them! Today we decided to start getting up an additional hour earlier in order to squeeze in extra language study.

So last P-day, after we took care of all our housekeeping items, we headed to the Kremlin on Red Square. We bought tickets for the Armoury Tour, which was a ton of old Russian relics and stuff belonging to the Tsars. There was a lot of tableware, weapons, carriages, and a ton of HUGE copies of the Gospels plated in gold and emeralds, and all that good stuff.

Later in the week we visited this old bed-ridden woman named Izolda. She is so old she has forgotten her testimony, but she loves the volunteers. Two companionships visit her every week. We sang Russian hymns until she fell asleep and we could sneak out. We then went from Mitishi to Korolyov (two northern towns) looking for our one member there. We walked what felt like ten miles looking for his apartment before he finally picked up the phone and said he no longer was attending church. He asked for our number though, in case he ever wanted to meet, so that was a great sign.
The next day we had two member lessons which went great, and we bought a new area map. Our zone leaders spent the night so we could go on splits Thursday.

For splits, I was with Elder Hayden. It is his last transfer and he is a stud. He had plenty of mission advice and language advice for me, and he had the best Russian of any American I've met. He's completely mastered the language. The day started with a Family History seminar, and then we had a Skype lesson with a new convert, who also helped us with the language. We finished the day at the American Center.  (The American Center is a section of a library.  We go there to help people practice their English.)  Elder Kelly and Elder Ricks spent the night with us as well, since they are currently homeless (they didn't do their paperwork).

The next morning we went to Krispy Kreme's before we did service at the Cheshire Veteran Home in southern Moscow. (We did yard work)  That took most of the day, and we did our studies. I decided to try a little faith experiment. There is this phenomenal presentation called "The Fourth [Volunteer]" which every prospective [volunteer] should read. It talks about consecration to the work, and putting everything else, even righteous desires, behind you so that you can make Go'd will you own, completely. I wrote down everything I had planned for when I come home- college, career, friends, girls, getting a car, etc., as well as things that might distract me: the failing health of elderly family members, my reputation, and put each slip of paper in a box. I sealed the box with layers of tape and a label saying "Open on the flight home". It might sound silly, but the difference in the Spirit I've felt and my resolve to do that which is right has been drastic. I know that God will take care of the rest.

Saturday we spent the day at the ward picnic and toured the Kremlin in Alexandrovna, one of Ivan the Terrible's residences. It was awesome getting to know the members better.  [Kremlin translates to fortress.  There is pretty much one in every city, but THE Kremlin is in Moscow, and the rest pale in comparison).


It's been a busy week on the Lord's errand but I've never been happier. I know that the Gospel is true and that with Christ, the burdens are light. Best wishes from Moscow, 
Elder Wilkins

Sorry, no pictures this week.  My camera isn't working right.

No comments:

Post a Comment